Events in 1965:
||Malcom X, assasinated in Harlem
|Michael Dell, Founder of Dell Computer
|Robert Downey, Jr.
||Nat King Cole
| Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, suspected military head of al-Qaeda
|More Births in 1965
||More Deaths in 1965
• A new red and white maple leaf design is adopted as the flag of Canada
• Palm Sunday: 51-tornado outbreak in six Midwestern states killing 256
• Lyndon Johnson signs the Social Security Act of 1965 establishing Medicare and Medicaid
• Fidel Castro announces that everybody who wants can immigrate to USA
• St. Louis, MO: The 630-foot tall parabolic Gateway Arch is completed.
• The Rolling Stones fined £5 for urinating against a wall of a London gas station
• The Beatles play Shea Stadium
• Health warnings on cigarette packs required in the USA
• Charles De Gaulle re-elected as French president
• CIA and Department of Defense begin Project MKSEARCH, a program to develop a capability to manipulate human behavior through the use of mind-altering drugs.
• Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and more than 2,600 others arrested in Selma, AL
• Soviet cosmonaut Aleksei Leonovperforms the first spacewalk (Mar. 18)
• Edward White II becomes the first American to walk in space (June 3)
• Lyndon Johnson proclaims his “Great Society”
• The first US combat troops arrive in Vietnam. By the end of the year, 190,000 American soldiers are in Vietnam.
• U.S. begins regular bombings of North Vietnamese cities and towns
• Vietnam War: The Battle of the Ia Drang takes place, the first major engagement between US troops and NVA.
• Anti-Vietnam War student group (NCCEWV) stages first public burning of draft cards in the United States
• Federal debt: $322.3 billion
• Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.05
• The 1960 Census for Appleton: Population 48,000; in 2005 Appleton's population is 211,300
• National Football League Champions: Green Bay 23, Cleveland 12
• Bill Cosby, starring in I Spy, becomes the first African American to headline a television show.
Sony introduces the Betamax home video tape recorder
Miss America: Vonda Kay Van Dyke (AZ)
• Musical careers begin for the Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, The Byrds, Burt Bacharach and Jefferson Airplane
Tons more music links here
1965 in Television
1965 in Film
1965 in Literature
1965 in Sports